Thursday, March 25, 2010

A good compromise on video games


With the Kid Vid nearing an end you may want to consider easing back into video game play with these ideas:

Reading a book is almost always superior to playing a video game, but most kids greatly prefer the latter, so here's a thoughtful compromise. If 13-year-old Evan Spencer wants to play a popular video war game for his Xbox, he first has to learn something about real war. That's because to earn permission from his father to play the game, the Ontario teen had to read the Geneva Conventions and promise to abide by their guidelines while strategizing on his virtual World War II battlefields. What a great idea. Video games, when monitored and controlled responsibly by parents, can help children learn.

Check out this Video Game Contract:

I _______________________________ promise to do my best to comply to the following conditions in regard to video game play.




  • I will always do my gaming in the ___________ room.

  • I will set a timer for ________ minutes a day and will stop playing immediately when the timer goes off.

  • I will not play any game with a rating higher than ________ unless I first ask permission.

  • I agree to let any member of my family play with me at any time.

  • I agree to do any learning activities my parents ask me to do in conjunction with my gaming.

Child Signature: ________________________


Parent Signature:_________________________





No comments:

Post a Comment